Spotting Whale Sharks and Manta Rays in the Maldives
If scuba diving is your thing, then you have not seen the best until you have witnessed the underwater beauty of the Sunny Side of Life. When it comes to the most popular diving destinations, the island nation Maldives is certainly at the top of the list. Apart from viewing the magnificent coral reef gardens, spotting Whale Sharks and Manta Rays in the Maldives is a favored activity by plenty of holiday travelers.
These beautiful sea creatures can be sighted in different parts of this tropical archipelago. To observe these magnificent life forms of the sea world, a lot of the island resorts provide adventurous excursions for their precious guests. Listed below are some of the famous atolls where whale sharks and manta rays can be spotted
- Baa Atoll – Baa Atoll is a
UNESCO Biosphere Reserve where whale sharks and Manta rays can be spotted. Known to have some of the best dive sites in the tropical nation, the two protected marine areas; Hanifaru Bay and Angafaru is where an abundant of these stunning creatures can be seen. However, these two areas have certain guidelines when it comes to scuba diving.
- Lhaviyani Atoll – This Atoll has an area called ‘Fashivaru Thila’ where plenty of vibrant marine life are found. Here, divers can find Manta Rays that are cleaned by wrasses and Shrimps.
- Kaafu Atoll (Male’ Atoll) – is one of the most famous diving sites in the tropical country. Guraidhoo Kundaulhi and Rasfari are popular spots where the Manta Rays often visit to.
- Alifu Dhaalu Atoll (South Ari Atoll) – The azure water of South Ari Atoll is rich in planktons and attracts a large number of Whale Sharks. While the marine protected Faruhuruvalhibeyru is a site where Manta Rays visit seasonally.
- Vaavu Atoll – in this atoll of the Maldives, Manta Rays can be sighted at the Vattaru Kandu channel, which is a desired spot by scuba divers.
- Dhaalu Atoll – Dhaalu Atoll is a popular area to spot Whale Sharks. The Fushee Kandu (channel) houses underwater pinnacles which attracts these giant sea creatures.
To book a holiday at one of the holiday resorts in these pristine atolls and go whale shark & manta ray spotting, contact us at Budget Resorts Maldives.